Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adoption News

Kind of.

If you're a follower of this blog, and you remember what you've read, I posted that there was supposed to be a meeting in December between the US and VN to discuss the new agreement that didn't happen and it was rescheduled for this month. It kind of sort of happened yet not really.

The assistant secretary at the Bureau of Consular Affairs was in Vietnam last week meeting with representatives. She was in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi meeting with officials there to discuss adoptions. The talks focused on when second referrals could be issued for those families that have lost a referral due to various reasons and special needs referrals. The assistant secretary emphasized that the USA does not wish to see individual adoption cases, but a policy allowing for the issuance of clearly definable special needs conditions being allowed. I haven't gotten a a clear explanation as to what the last statement means, but I'm hoping to get one soon. My best guess is that the US simply wants a policy for special needs, but doesn't want special needs referrals prior to a new agreement being signed. Once I get a better definition I'll let you know.

Supposedly there is also a delegation from Vietnam, consisting of members from the Office of the President, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Justice and the DIA coming to the United States sometime in March or April. The delegation will meet with representatives from the Department of State, Congressional members, agencies and families that have adopted in Vietnam. The purpose is to learn more about Hague Implementation, to move along the negotiation process on the new MOU, and to see how well the children that have been adopted are adjusting with their permanent families. I have mixed feelings about this meeting. I'm glad that SOMETHING is happening, but I'm wondering if the delegation doesn't like what they see in the adopted children if they won't sign a new agreement. I'm certain that they couldn't possibly find any thing wrong with the adjustment of the adopted children, but who knows what they are looking for. I'm hoping for the best and that this delegation will return to VN with high praises and recommend immediate signing of a new agreement.

Fingers crossed that all goes well with this next meeting.

No comments: