Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, October 20, 2008

What's better than....

....exceeding your own expectations?

That doesn't apply to the Chiefs obviously. Apparently their expectations are to be the WORST football team in the NFL this year and they are exceeding spectacularly at it.

This past weekend I ran a half marathon in town and Tim paced the full marathon. While Tim was pacing several people to their goal of a 3 hour 20 minute marathon or better I was following the 2 hour half marathon pacers fully expecting to finish just after 2 hours. With moving and lack of motivation I didn't train as well as I should have. I really only trained for this race for 3 weeks. I figured I'd beat my best half marathon time, but I didn't expect to blow it out of the water.

I've been saying for years that I want to break 2 hours in the half marathon, but I just haven't run that many lately to do it. When I realized that I probably wouldn't hit that goal for this race I was OK with it since there are 3 other half marathons on the TO DO list this year. I hung with the 2 hour pacers for the first 8 miles then fell back about 50-60 yards until mile 11 when I went ahead of them after realizing I could break the 2 hour mark. With only 2.1 miles left in the race I was playing the clock game. How fast do I need to run these last miles? What's my predicted finish time right now? Should I speed up? When should I kick it in? Whatever the voices in my head decided to do my body listened to them instead of arguing with them and I crossed the finish line at 1 hour 58 minutes and 8 seconds beating my previous best half marathon time by 8 minutes and 27 seconds.

Here are my stats:
overall place: 1060 out of 3492
division place: 30 out of 183
gender place: 373 out of 2054
pace: 9:07
net time: 1:58:08
gun time: 1:59:20

Now I have to figure out what my next time goal for the half marathon will be and attempt to hit that in December when I run the Dallas White Rock Half.

No comments: