Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, October 17, 2008

Adoption

GOOD NEWS (new):
"In summary, it is our understanding that, effective immediately, families who filed Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition, prior to April 1, 2008 and whose USCIS approval of that petition (aka the I-171H) has not expired, will be able to proceed with their adoption under the I-600A process if they take certain steps while their approval remains valid. This means that families with valid Form I-600A approvals will not be required to transition to The Hague process via Form I-800A. In order to maintain their status as ‘grandfathered’ cases, families with non-expired Form I-600A approvals must request a one-time free extension. Then, prior to the expiration of the one-time free extension, families must file a new Form I-600A and pay the appropriate fee."~JCICS
You can read the entire statement here. I fall into this category, so I'm happy that I will still get my free extension and that I won't have to start all over. I'm hoping that my free extension will be valid long enough for the country to re-open, to receive a referral and to travel. With the extension I should be valid until near the end of June 2010. Given the following information it may not matter.

BAD NEWS (new):
"Over the past few weeks, Joint Council has received several inquiries into the possibility of adopting a Vietnamese child with Special Needs, or a Waiting Child. Vietnamese law does allow for the adoption of a child with Special Needs, despite the expired MOA. However, this Special Needs adoption, if pursued, would have to take place as an independent adoption. An independent adoption is conducted without the involvement of a U.S.-based Adoption Service Provider. The adoption would, therefore, be facilitated by an individual, agent or attorney in Vietnam that is neither regulated nor accredited. Furthermore, while the law does provide for the adoption of a child with Special Needs, it does not provide for a definition of what ‘Special Needs’ entails and does not provide for oversight or regulation of the process or persons involved. While we sympathize with Potential Adoptive Parents who are deeply disappointed because of the expired MOA, as well as those who strongly support the adoption of Special Needs children from Vietnam, in the best interests of the child, birth family and adoptive family, Joint Council strongly discourages the pursuit of an independent Special Needs adoption at this time. "~JCICS
You can read the entire statement here under the Oct. 10, 2008 posting. I guess I'll have to wait until a new agreement is signed to get a referral. IF I stay in this program since it isn't looking too good.

"It appears that the Vietnamese government will be returning dossiers to all adoption agencies. In the below link you can read the statement that is posted on the US department of state web site. The post states that on 10/10/08, the Vietnamese government informed all agencies that the dossiers would be returned and what those procedures would be. I spoke with my representative in Vietnam just this morning and the DIA has NOT informed us of this information. We were not aware of this and this is the first I am reading or hearing about this on the state department web site. We will be contacting the DIA for further explanation."~Adoption Agency
Beyond pissed!!!! You can read the entire statement here. It really irritates me that the US government is being such a dictatorship. Of course, part of me wonders if my agency did know about this and are playing dumb. Given what the US government has done ALL along I'm pretty sure this is all them. Jackholes! Just one more way that the US is undermining VN's authority.

INDIFFERENT NEWS (new):
"We remain hopeful that Vietnam will re-open to adoptions and have confirmed that bilateral discussions regarding an interim agreement on intercountry adoptions between Vietnam and the US are in their initial stages."~JCICS
Not so new news, but at least it's been "confirmed" by a non-governmental agency. Is that good or bad? Who knows more? That's a toss up. Given that everyone involved wants to revamp the entire system it's going to be at least a year and probably longer before VN re-opens.

In other words, it's time to make a HUGE decision. Anyone out there know where I can rent a womb?

No comments: