Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, January 14, 2008

Whatever...

Weekend was relatively uneventful. I stayed in on Friday night to get some things done around the house. Yeah, that happened! I ran 10 miles Saturday morning, met a friend for sushi (yummy!!!!), visited my friend who just had baby David (he's TOO cute!!), rested a little then Tim and I went out to BIGGS piano bar to meet some friends. Sunday was my worthless day. Tim and I sat around all day watching movies on TBS. I got nothing accomplished around the house, but OH well.

On the adoption front I learned that due to confidentiality they, the agency, are no longer specifying whether a referral is healthy or special needs. Therefore, I can only keep track of my overall list number now and not my specific list number. That kind of stinks, but I guess I understand that if a family accepts a referral of a special needs child they may not want the "whole world" to know what his/her special need is. Again, if the family is open to special needs then I don't see why they would want to "hide" that from people. If that's the case then maybe they shouldn't be accepting a special needs child. Hey, that's just my opinion. The agency did add another child to the Waiting Child list. This is the harder to place children with special needs. These children are open to all prospective adoptive parents to review. It is my understanding that any child with special needs is first presented to the families on the special needs waiting list and if no one chooses to adopt that child then they are placed on the Waiting Child list. It actually pretty sad knowing that these children wind up there because initially no one has chosen them. Sibling groups usually wind up on the Waiting Child list as well. Currently there are two sibling groups (boy/boy-14 y/8 y; boy/girl-10 y/8 y), a boy (3½ y) and a girl (3½ y). The older sibling group and the girl have been on this list for a while. The little girl close to a year. Maybe I shouldn't have shared this info, but if there is anyone out there reading who is open to adoption or anyone knows someone who is maybe those people would consider any of these children or sibling groups.

1 comment:

K said...

We are with CHI and accepted a referral of a child with SN, and I work with kids with disabilities. I am not ashamed or self-conscious about our decision, but our daughter has her right to privacy about anything medical. It's her story to share as she sees fit when she is older, not our story. I would have felt this way regardless of whether or not she had special needs- there are details about her life that are private, and they should be her decision to share with whomever she likes.