It was COLD. Saturday was 28 with a wind chill of 13. There was rain, sleet, snow and it was overcast. Yes, this was Florida!! Many people complained, but it was a heat wave for me. It was a -2 when I left KC for FL. I had a few fellow KC Crazies doing Goofy with me. Well, we were all running the same race. I did start the race with Scott and Mike (friend of Scott) and we stayed together for about half of the half marathon. Overall the half went well. Not happy with my time, but I think that not running it in 2:10/2:15 was best for the next day. I didn't start the race with my brace on, but around mile 10 I felt a twinge, so I stopped to slip it up.
I didnt do much the rest of that day. Well, I didn't really do anything. SAD! The sun did come out a little later, so I attempted a swim in the heated pool. BAD IDEA! The wind was blowing which made it way too cold even in the heated pool. I sat in my hotel room texting, updating Facebook, checking emails and talking on the phone. I had pizza for dinner and headed to bed pretty early.
Sunday proved to be a tad warmer. Still chilly, but the sun was out and the wind wasn't as strong. In fact, I was a little warm in what I was wearing. I started off the race with Scott & Mike again, but, again, only ran with them until mile 6. I did have to stop at mile 2½ to pull up the brace, but didn't have any other issues with the knee the rest of the race. Thank goodness for cortisone shots! I ROCKED this Goofy marathon. I felt great the whole race. I was the one passing people like they were standing still in the last 10k. I'm usually the one getting passed. It was a great feeling.
As I mentioned in the last post (a year ago) I Goofy PR'd by 24 minutes. That's HUGE! I guess sitting around all day Saturday instead of hitting Animal Kingdom (like I did in 2007) was the best medicine.
I'm ready for 2013 when I go back again. I'll post pictures from the race tomorrow, but here are the medals.

Mickey congratulating me

Up close of the medals
2010 was the 5th anniversary for Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and the medal was HUGE and so awesome!


No comments:
Post a Comment