Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, October 9, 2009

In My Opinion

As mentioned the past two years at this time on this blog, I AM A TV-AHOLIC. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I like TV. Each year I brave the blog-o-sphere and review the new shows of the fall TV season.

My review of the new shows only. FYI, I try give new shows two to three viewings before I make a decision on whether they are worth continuing.

Monday
Accidentally on Purpose (CBS 730C): I really like this show. Jenna Elfman is great as usual. The show is about a woman who has a one night stand with a younger guy, becomes pregnant, asks the guy move in with her then just wants to be roomies. The actresses who play Jenna's characters sister and best friend are hilarious.
Trauma (NBC 8C): So So. I'd like to say it's a little intense, but it really isn't. Frankly, it's just the same show over and over. Not that there aren't many other shows that are the same way, but I guess I just expect more from new TV. This show is just one large accident after another showing how the trauma teams get through it then it just ends once they get the patients to the hospital. Basically it's an updated version of Emergency.

Tuesday
NCIS:LA (CBS 8C): Yes, it's another spin-off series. Not that that means it's bad. It is basically the same as all cop shows and less CSI that it should be. The acting isn't that bad and it may have some promise. Not going to worry if a miss a few.
Melrose Place (CW 8C): Well, I think that 90210 can get away with doing a remake because it's high school. I'm not sure that remaking this one is the best idea. The acting isn't all that great either yet there is something that makes me want to know who killed Sydney. Not sure it's enough to keep me watching. Don't care if I miss a few.
The Forgotten (ABC 9C): Interesting premise. I like the idea that there is a group of individuals out there that pick up where the police left off trying to find out who a Jane Doe is and surprised that they figure it out in a week when it stumped the police. Yes, it's TV show, I get that. Christian Slater plays the main character who used to be a cop, but something happened in his life that led him on this path. We don't yet know what that is or the story behind the other characters and why they are part of the Forgotten Network. It's OK, but like most of the other, I'm not gonna cry if I miss a few.
The Good Wife (CBS 9C): Not at all what I thought it would be. Julianna Margulies is a good actress, but I expected a different story than what is presented. Her husband is a state attorney who hires prostitutes, get exposed, exiled from his job, sent to prison and she has to go back to work. As a lawyer. It's not awful, just not what I was thinking it would be. I like it, but I don't think I like it enough.

Wednesday
Hank (ABC 7C): Eeh! I love Kelsey Grammer, but his choice of work these past couple of years BLUCK! I've only seen one show, so maybe it'll get better. High powered NYC mogul loses all his money and must move back to some small town in NC or VA and live a simpler life. I think you get the picture. Not sure it'll stick around.
The Middle (ABC 730C): Patricia Heaton, great actress, but like Kelsey hasn't really picked the best shows. This show has Heaton as a mom of three from Indiana in a working class family. It's not bad, but it's not real funny either. Not sure it'll make it.
Mercy (NBC 7C): OK. It's another doctor show. I'd like to say it has a different twist, but not really. The whole premise is going to be how the main character can maintain her troubled marriage when the doctor she had a fling with in Iraq comes to work at the same hospital just for her.
Modern Family (ABC 8C): I like this one. It's so messed up it's funny. The patriarch has a hot wife and teenaged step son along with two grown children who have families of their own and they all live in the same town. It's just hilarious how stupid/silly these people can be. It makes me laugh.
Cougar Town (ABC 830C): I was really looking forward to this one and it somewhat disappointed after the first show and mildly redeemed itself, in my eyes, the second show. I'll keep watching, but I'm not sure it's a keeper.
Glee (FOX 8C): There is a lot of singing, but I actually like it. It's like a little musical week after week.
The Beautiful Life (CW 8C): Already canceled after two shows. I didn't think it was that bad, but apparently it was.
Eastwick (ABC 9C): It probably should have been left as a movie. Two shows in and I still feel like I need to go back and watch the movie just to fill in the blanks. It's not like it's a continuation I just feel lost. The acting is OK.

Thursday
Flash Forward (ABC 7C): I think I'll keep watching this one although I'm not sure how it will continue after they reach the 6 month mark. That's when everyone in the world flashed forward to. Right now the FBI is trying to figure out who the only two people, they've found so far, that didn't black out are.
Community (NBC 7C): It's just not for me. I don't find it funny at all. It's about a fast talking lawyer who get his license revoked because he lied that he had one or something like that and has to go back to school to finish up. He's worms his way into a community college by blackmailing a friend and basically scheme's his way. He started a study group just to meet a girl and that's really all they show. Never them in class just in the study group or happenings after.
Vampire Diaries (CW 7C): As Tim would say, "It's just another teeny-bopper show." It is. I've never see the movie Tw!light, but I'm guessing that this show is just the TV version. It's not bad. I actually like it. This 150 year old vampire wants to be like a human and win back the love of his life. Oh yea, the love of his life isn't a vampire she's just re-incarnated. At least that's how I see it. It's dark, it's sinister.

Friday
Brothers (FOX 7C): Some may not find it funny. I think it is. I'm surprised that Michael Strahan can act and I like the rest of the cast, Daryl Mitchell, CCH Pounder, and Carl Weathers. It's about two brothers who run a restaurant and live in a mansion with their parents. They live in a mansion because Michael's character is a retired football player (not a stretch) and he bought the house for his parents and his physically disabled brother (Daryl). He's come back home because his manager stole all his money. The relationship between the brothers is funny and their parents are hilarious.

Sunday
Three Rivers (CBS 8C): Alex O'Loughlin is nice to look at and I really really liked him in Moonlight, but I'm not sure about this show. I've only seen one episode, so I've got to give it another or two. Alex plays a high profiled transplant doctor, so I'm guessing that the whole show is going to be seeing how fast he can get organs for his patients.

No comments: